Depression is a wildly confusing, exhausting trip to someplace you didn’t actually ever intend to go. Let’s say you set out for Austria, had in mind a little singing on mountaintops like in The Sound of Music, and you end up getting on the wrong plane and find yourself in Antarctica.
Some days I still get to feeling like this, fortunately since I’ve stopped drinking those days are fewer than they were previously.
You can read the full essay here.
You can now use your Facebook account to post comments on my blog, it also lets you share the blog too (assuming you find it interesting enough to share).
On the 1st of January I set some goals for myself that I wanted to achieve this year, to try and get some forward momentum in my life as I’ve felt a little like I’ve been in a holding pattern (of my own creation) for the last 4-5 years.
It’s now the end of the 1st month, so I figured I’d give you a little update on where I’m at. I’ve made some pretty decent progress on some of the goals…others not so much
- Read at least 12 books – I’ve read 2 so far, started a 3rd, but haven’t written a review yet.
- See 12+ movies at the cinema – I’ve seen 1 so far, twice (Star Wars), and I linked a review.
- Lose 20kg – I’ve been eating well this month and to date have lost 8.5kg, I doubt I can keep this pace up, but it is very motivating seeing the weight coming off.
- Get some fitness back – slowly slowly, don’t want to overachieve.
- Cut down on alcohol – This has been easier than I thought actually, I’ve not had any alcohol since 10pm on New Years Eve and I’ve been feeling really good, sleeping insanely well (8 hrs a night) and of course the weight has been falling off me.
- Landscape the backyard – My wife and I have come up with some rough plans, time and money will be the big factors here
- Travel for fun – Haven’t had the opportunity yet, I’ve done 3 trips to Melbourne for work though…
- Travel somewhere new – Same as above.
- Go to a couple of Trav’s schools events – School has only just started back this week.
- Coach / Manage Trav’s soccer team – Already signed up, just waiting for the pre-season to begin.
- Furnish the house – We’ve ordered a new lounge, it won’t be here till May… ugh
- Blog 12+ new recipes – This one probably doesn’t work well with the weight loss one, so I might be a little slow out of the gate here.
- Finish a game on Xbox One – I’ve started Fallout 4, I’ve played about an hour so far.
- Finish a game on iOS – I’ve started 3-4 games, nothing has been really sticky yet for me to dive into.
- Make videos for YouTube – Ugh, this has been difficult. I might write more on this separately.
- Concentrate on Snapchat and Periscope – I haven’t even opened the apps, they’re on my home screen though…
- Blog every day – This one has been difficult, most days I can’t even think of anything to write, I don’t want to just re-blog links for the sake of achieving the goal…might have to rethink this one, loosen the spec a little.
So yeh, as you can see, some goals I’ve made a really good start on, other’s not so much. I personally think that hitting the more personal goals, i.e. weight, alcohol, family, etc. are more important than the token reading / writing ones, so I’m certainly giving them a higher priority.
Come at me February!
Need a new password, can’t come up with anything good, strong, etc. Passweird’s got you covered.
Thursday night it rained really hard in Newcastle, my office flooded and I lost a Mac Pro, 2 Mac Mini Servers, 2 Mac Minis, an Apple TimeCapsule, a 21″ Cinema Display, and a 27″ LED Cinema Display, 2 ASUS desktop PC’s, a 27″ Acer Display, a bunch of old MacBooks (Pro’s and Airs), an iPad, and a whole load of cables, dongles, and other bits and pieces. Continue reading “These 2 photos sum up my week in Tech”
My mind is blown by this, it’s so obvious and yet so clever, why can’t you take simple Cup of Noodles and turn them into something amazing? Next time the food budget is tight at home I might give a couple of these a go, specially that Thai Coconut Curry, though the Kim Chi one looks awesome too!
If you go to the original video on YouTube and open up the video description you can find the ingredients and the ‘recipe’ for each one of these unique creations.
Officially back at work today…ugh
I saw this app on Macstories this morning, lo and behold it works exactly as they say it does! I don’t think Vidyo is going to last long in the App Store, so I would go download it ASAP if I were you! It’s currently $8.99 in the Australian store, I think it is $5.99 in the US store.
Definitely worth the money if you’re wanting to capture recordings of your iPhone or iPad screen, it’s great for gamers too!
I’m staying at the Sofitel in Melbourne tonight, and boy does my room have a great view across the city!