According to LinkedIn, today was my work anniversary, 19 years with the same organisation.
I've been umming and ahhing about closing my Flickr account for a while now, with the Verizon acquisition of Yahoo! pretty much a done deal, now is the time to hit delete.
The iPhone is 10 years old today. I can't even remember what phone I had prior to getting an iPhone, I do remember waiting in line to get the iPhone 3G though, which was the first iPhone we got in Australia.
This is likely to be an open ended post that gets updated from time to time, as trends change and websites seemingly follow them;
- Websites that paginate everything, i.e. instead of posting the full article on one page, each 'step' is a separate page that you have to click through, meaning that they get more and more page views, more page views means more advertising.
- Click bait headlines, e.g. "He Changed His Name for a Horrible Reason. Now He's Telling Us Why"
- List posts, e.g. "14 Things That You Have to See to Believe" and for bonus hate, when they combo list posts with over the top pagination and click bait headlines
- Sites with slideshows that inject an advertisement every 4th-5th slide, or even at all
There seems to be a bit of a theme here, advertising. Basically, I'm sick of all the damn advertising that is being injected into websites, time to reinstate Ad-Block.
My Drobo has died, it won't power up at all, I've got a lot of data on it. I've either got to buy a new one and hope the disks work in it, or kiss that data goodbye. Ugh.
Given where we are now, technology wise, compared to where we were 10-15 years ago, it's taken me a surprisingly long amount of time to actually come up with a decent, repeatable, workflow for shooting, editing, uploading, and sharing.
Here's my current workflow, in brief;
- shoot photos on iPhone 7 Plus, Panasonic GX7, GoPro Session, or Theta S
- import photos not shot on iPhone into Photos.app, either on my MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, or iPhone 7 Plus
- sort the keepers from the crap, all the while Photos.app is uploading and syncing to iCloud
- do basic adjustments in Photos.app, i.e. rotate, crop, exposure
- using Photos.app extension, open image in Priime for final style edits, save over the original image
- export / share from Photos.app to Instagram and Flickr
Priime has been the app that has really brought it together for me as I was missing a decent editor that I could use on all my devices. Yeh I can achieve all of this using Lightroom on all devices, however that problem with a Lightroom-based workflow is that I end up with a lot of data duplication, i.e. Photos.app has a copy, and Lightroom has a copy.
So far, this workflow has been really easy to adopt as my images are accessible and editable no matter what I'm working on. The only problem I've run into with it is that I have a Photos library in excess of 80,000 images and my upload connection is woefully slow, so it's taking a long time to get everything up on iCloud. Fortunately, I'm going to Switzerland at the end of November and staying with a friend who has 400/200 fibre in his apartment.
Way back in January, when I was full of energy and reading to kick this years ass, I set a bunch of goals for myself and for the first few months I was all over them and making really good progress.
Then work happened, and kept happening, and the routines I'd set all went out the window and since mid-June I've struggled to get back on top of everything. I've got all sorts of excuses and reasons why it's all fallen apart, but at the end of the day there's only 1 person I can blame, and that's myself.
In some areas I've continued to improve, other's I've gone completely backwards. I think it's time for another reset so I can get back on top of my life again.
Anyway, in the spirit of full disclosure, here's a progress report...
- I've just finished my 23rd book for the year, I still haven't reviewed anything on my blog, however I feel like this is a goal I've really made progress on. You can see the full list of what I've read, and what I rated it, on Goodreads. (Read 12+ books)
- I had every intention of seeing Suicide Squad, still haven't seen it, apart from that, there haven't been a lot of movies that have grabbed my attention this year, which makes it a little difficult... I do want to go and see Doctor Strange though, I guess I still have time for that... (See 12+ movies)
- So I lost 20kg, then I bounced and put 5 back on, then I lost that, and then I bounced again. Currently I'm sitting at 15kg down on January 1st, which is still quite good, and certainly keeps me still on track for the 20kg for the year mark, but I feel like I keep sabotaging this one and that I could have easily been at 30kg down for the year if I had of stayed on track. (Lose 20kg)
- While we were in Fiji in August / September I was walking 10km + every day, I had all the time in the world and I was using it wisely. When I got back to Australia, and back to work, I slipped back into my old routine of being insanely busy and everything went out the window. (Get fitter)
- Alcohol...yeh, so the whole bouncing thing with my weight is probably due to me drinking more / too much again. (Drink less alcohol)
- I dug another garden bed in the back yard, planted more tropical plants, kept it pretty neat and tidy to date, and we've got plans for the next garden bed all sorted. I give myself a pass on this goal. (Landscape the backyard)
- Fiji was fun, that was at the end of August and we were there for 2 weeks. I've got a work trip to Switzerland coming up at the end of the month, and I have a week off of work while I'm there, surely I'll have some fun during that time... (Travel for fun)
- I went to Toowoomba a couple of weeks ago, never been there before... (Travel somewhere new)
- I don't recall there actually being anything on that I could've attended. (Go to a couple of Trav’s schools events)
- We had a fun, sometimes frustrating, season where all the boys improved week after week. Most of the team will be back next year, so I'll be putting my hand up again to coach them. I'm also booked into a coaching course in February, I've enjoyed coaching these kids way more than I thought I would. (Coach / Manage Trav’s soccer team)
- We've picked up a couple more chairs for the lounge room, that's about all we've done so far though. We do have a plan now however, which is way more than we had before. (Furnish the house)
- Yeh...it's unlikely that this will happen. (Blog 12+ new recipes)
- Hahah, same as above, though I did finish the story mode part of FIFA17, that sort of counts, right? (Finish a game on Xbox One)
- I'm 1 level away from completing Alto's Adventure, I've been stuck on the same level for 2 months now. And don't get me started on Pokemon Go, man have I put some hours into that! (Finish a game on iOS)
- Nup, not a chance. (Make videos for YouTube)
- I was cruising along nicely with Snapchat, never got into Periscope, and then Instagram added Instagram Stories. I love love love Instagram Stories, not just from a consumption point of view, but also making them. (Concentrate on Snapchat and Periscope)
- Points at self and laughs uncontrollably. WTF was I thinking... (Blog every day)
When I read through everything above, I've actually done reasonably well, all things considered. There's plenty of room for improvement of course, but overall I'm not that far off of hitting most of the goals I set for myself. We're 1 week into November now, with about 7 weeks left to go in 2016, if I go hard at it for the remainder of the year, I can make some solid improvements and get myself all prepped up for 2017.
Now where did I leave my motivation???
I've been really diving back into photography the last couple of months, and whilst Medium is awesome with words, it's less awesome with images, in particular, galleries. So I've decided to move my blog away from Medium and to give Squarespace another go.
This move will take a week or two to complete, one of the problems I've currently got is that there's no easy way to export my posts from Medium in anything that Squarespace can read. The other problem I have is that my domain name, matpacker.com, is still associated with an old blog here on Squarespace and until that finishes being deleted (up to 30 days) I cannot point my DNS records at this new site.
Anyway, long story short, I plan on writing a little more and posting a lot more photos over the coming weeks and months, and hopefully, I can get myself back into the habit of regularly writing and posting new content.
In the interim, sit tight, there will be photos and words to look at soon enough. :-D